When other less-invasive treatments have not been successful in eliminating the symptoms of sleep apnea, upper airway surgery may be an option. There are many types of surgical procedures that may be effective depending on the specific anatomic area contributing to the obstruction of the patient’s airway.
Some procedures are more complex than others, so a detailed examination of the entire upper airway is essential before your dentist can determine the best surgical procedure for you.
Upper airway surgeries include:
- Maxillomandibular advancement
- Anterior mandibular osteotomy with hyoid suspension
- Surgery of the soft palate
- Nasal surgery
- Tongue reduction surgery
- Weight reduction (or Bariatric) surgery
- Cervicofacial liposuction